Difference between revisions of "College Library"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (linking)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Building Name:''' College Library[[File:Old Arts Library.jpg|thumb|right|450x355px|The library in the Old Arts Building (Sir Howard Douglas Hall), [after 1876]. UA PC-10 no. 14.]]
+
'''Building Name:''' College Library[[File:Old Arts Library.jpg|thumb|right|450x355px]]
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Library, University of New Brunswick Library
 
'''Other Names:''' Library, University of New Brunswick Library
Line 17: Line 17:
 
'''Named for:''' Housing the various books, collections and works donated and purchased by the University.
 
'''Named for:''' Housing the various books, collections and works donated and purchased by the University.
  
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Space on the second floor of the [[Old Arts Building|Old Arts Building]] was designed for library use in 1842. In 1876 the library was moved to the newly built third floor as the volume of books continued to increase. This third floor space was also used as a multi-purpose room while the library was contained there. Upon the opening of the [[Engineering Building]] in 1901 and the move of the engineering and physics department into their new quarters, the library doubled its space.
+
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Space on the second floor of the [[Old Arts Building|Old Arts Building]] was designed for library use in 1842. In 1876 the library was moved to the newly built third floor as the volume of books continued to increase. This third floor space was also used as a multi-purpose room while the library was contained there. Upon the opening of the [[Engineering Building]] in 1901 and the move of the Departments of [http://unbhistory.lib.unb.ca/index.php/Department_of_Physics Physics] and [http://unbhistory.lib.unb.ca/index.php/Faculties_and_Departments#Engineering Engineering] to their new respective quarters, the library doubled its space.
  
 
'''Notes:''' The library was housed within the [[Old Arts Building]] until the [[Bonar Law-Bennett Library|University Library]] was constructed in 1929.
 
'''Notes:''' The library was housed within the [[Old Arts Building]] until the [[Bonar Law-Bennett Library|University Library]] was constructed in 1929.
Line 29: Line 29:
  
 
{{Copyright}}
 
{{Copyright}}
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Fredericton]][[Category:Libraries]]
+
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Fredericton]]<br/>[[Category:Libraries]]

Revision as of 10:02, 16 April 2015

Building Name: College Library

Old Arts Library.jpg

Other Names: Library, University of New Brunswick Library

Civic Address: N/A

Sod Turning: N/A

Cornerstone Laying: N/A

Opened for Use: 1842

Official Opening: 1842 (in the Old Arts Building)

Architect: N/A

Named for: Housing the various books, collections and works donated and purchased by the University.

Renovations/changes/additions: Space on the second floor of the Old Arts Building was designed for library use in 1842. In 1876 the library was moved to the newly built third floor as the volume of books continued to increase. This third floor space was also used as a multi-purpose room while the library was contained there. Upon the opening of the Engineering Building in 1901 and the move of the Departments of Physics and Engineering to their new respective quarters, the library doubled its space.

Notes: The library was housed within the Old Arts Building until the University Library was constructed in 1929.

Source(s):

  • Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 29.
  • UA Case 123; Section 3; Old Arts Building.
  • UA Case 132. Section 4; General History.
  • MacKirdy, Kenneth A. "The Formation of the Modern University, 1859-1906". In The University of New Brunswick Memorial Volume, ed. Alfred G. Bailey. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1950, p. 44


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014