Difference between revisions of "Carleton Hall"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(17 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
 
'''Building Name:''' Thomas Carleton Hall[[File:Carleton1.jpg|thumb|right|284x350px|Front entrance of Carleton Hall with crest and portico, [between 1960 and 1961]. UA PC 9 no. 39 (4). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]
 
'''Building Name:''' Thomas Carleton Hall[[File:Carleton1.jpg|thumb|right|284x350px|Front entrance of Carleton Hall with crest and portico, [between 1960 and 1961]. UA PC 9 no. 39 (4). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]
  
Line 15: Line 16:
 
'''Architect:''' Larson and Larson
 
'''Architect:''' Larson and Larson
  
'''Named for:''' Thomas Carleton, Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick (1784 - 1817), who proposed a charter to found an [[Brief History of UNB#Academy of Liberal Arts and Sciences (1785 - 1800)|academy of arts and sciences]] in colonial New Brunswick.
+
'''Named for:''' Thomas Carleton, Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick (1784 - 1817), who proposed a charter to found an [[Brief_History_of_UNB#Academy_of_Liberal_Arts_and_Sciences_(1785_-_1800)|academy of arts and sciences]] in colonial New Brunswick.
  
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' The Margaret C. Sheldrick Room opened 2 February 1963 by K. Douglas Sheldrick in memory of his mother.
+
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' The [[Margaret_C._Sheldrick_(Seminar_Room)|Margaret C. Sheldrick Room]] opened 2 February 1963 by K. Douglas Sheldrick in memory of his mother.
  
 
'''[[:File:Carletonhallplaque.jpg|Plaque Inscription]]:''' Thomas Carleton Hall - Named in memory of Thomas Carleton, Governor, Captain-General, and Commander-In-Chief of the province of New Brunswick, who established the Academy of Liberal Arts and Sciences in response to a petition of December 13th, 1785, presented by United Empire Loyalists in the first college building. Situated on Brunswick Street, he provided the means for instruction, and set aside as an endowment, in the environs of Fredericton, some six thousand acres of land. Largely through his efforts the Academy received a provincial charter on February 12th, 1800, as the College of New Brunswick. For these acts of foresight and benevolence his name is honoured in the annals of this university.
 
'''[[:File:Carletonhallplaque.jpg|Plaque Inscription]]:''' Thomas Carleton Hall - Named in memory of Thomas Carleton, Governor, Captain-General, and Commander-In-Chief of the province of New Brunswick, who established the Academy of Liberal Arts and Sciences in response to a petition of December 13th, 1785, presented by United Empire Loyalists in the first college building. Situated on Brunswick Street, he provided the means for instruction, and set aside as an endowment, in the environs of Fredericton, some six thousand acres of land. Largely through his efforts the Academy received a provincial charter on February 12th, 1800, as the College of New Brunswick. For these acts of foresight and benevolence his name is honoured in the annals of this university.
  
'''Notes:''' Carleton Hall was built to house the Faculty of Arts. Currently it is home to the [[Department of Classics and Ancient History]], the [[Department of English]], a[[File:Carleton Hall.jpg|thumb|right|400x312px|Side view and parking lot of Carleton Hall, [between 1960 and 1961]. UA PC 9 no. 39 (7). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]nd the [[Department of Philosophy]].
+
[[File:Carleton Hall.jpg|thumb|right|300x234px|Side view and parking lot of Carleton Hall, [between 1960 and 1961]. UA PC 9 no. 39 (7). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]] '''Notes:''' Carleton Hall was built to house the Faculty of Arts. Currently it is home to the [[Department_of_Classics_and_Ancient_History|Department of Classics and Ancient History]], the [[Department_of_English|Department of English]], and the [[Department_of_Philosophy|Department of Philosophy]].  The family coat of arms of Thomas Carleton adorns the face of the building.
  
 
'''Source(s):'''
 
'''Source(s):'''
  
*Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.
+
*Leroux, John. ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.  
*Plaque Inscription: <span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">University of New Brunswick </span>Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721; Item 11.
+
*Plaque Inscription: <span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">University of New Brunswick </span>Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721; Item 11.  
*UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Carleton Hall.
+
*UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Carleton Hall.  
 +
 
 +
{{Copyright}}<br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> &nbsp;
  
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012
+
[[Category:Buildings]] [[Category:Fredericton]] [[Category:Department of Classics and Ancient History]] [[Category:Department of English]] [[Category:Department of Philosophy]] [[Category:UNB Fredericton|UNB_Fredericton]]
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Fredericton]][[Category:Faculty of Arts]][[Category:Department of English|Department_of_English]][[Category:Department of Classics and Ancient History|Department_of_Classics_and_Ancient_History]][[Category:Department of Philosophy|Department_of_Philosophy]]
 

Latest revision as of 08:52, 13 July 2017

Building Name: Thomas Carleton Hall

Front entrance of Carleton Hall with crest and portico, [between 1960 and 1961]. UA PC 9 no. 39 (4). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.

Other Names: Carleton Hall, Thomas Carleton Hall, New Arts Building

Civic Address: 19 Macaulay Lane

Sod Turning: 14 May 1959 by K.C. Irving

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1959] with Louis J. Robichaud

Opened for Use: 1960

Official Opening: 19 October 1960 by Lord Beaverbrook

Architect: Larson and Larson

Named for: Thomas Carleton, Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick (1784 - 1817), who proposed a charter to found an academy of arts and sciences in colonial New Brunswick.

Renovations/changes/additions: The Margaret C. Sheldrick Room opened 2 February 1963 by K. Douglas Sheldrick in memory of his mother.

Plaque Inscription: Thomas Carleton Hall - Named in memory of Thomas Carleton, Governor, Captain-General, and Commander-In-Chief of the province of New Brunswick, who established the Academy of Liberal Arts and Sciences in response to a petition of December 13th, 1785, presented by United Empire Loyalists in the first college building. Situated on Brunswick Street, he provided the means for instruction, and set aside as an endowment, in the environs of Fredericton, some six thousand acres of land. Largely through his efforts the Academy received a provincial charter on February 12th, 1800, as the College of New Brunswick. For these acts of foresight and benevolence his name is honoured in the annals of this university.

Side view and parking lot of Carleton Hall, [between 1960 and 1961]. UA PC 9 no. 39 (7). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.

Notes: Carleton Hall was built to house the Faculty of Arts. Currently it is home to the Department of Classics and Ancient History, the Department of English, and the Department of Philosophy.  The family coat of arms of Thomas Carleton adorns the face of the building.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.
  • Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721; Item 11.
  • UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Carleton Hall.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014