Canadian Officers Training Corps
Name: C.O.T.C. Officers
Previous/other names: Canadian Officers' Training Corps
Prominent date(s) of activity: 1915 -
History: The New Brunswick University Contingent of the C.O.T.C. was officially formed in November of 1915. The contingent fluctuated in enrolment and activity over the next few years, as many enlisted in the military and travelled to Europe to participate in the First World War.
The UNB Contingent was disbanded for reorganization in the fall of 1920 but was immediately reorganized and continued its normal activities.
Activities: The UNB Contingent supplied the Guard of Honour for the openings of the New Brunswick Provincial Legislature.
During the Second World War the C.O.T.C. increased in size and importance reaching the highest membership total since being founded during the First World War. In the summer of 1940 the C.O.T.C. travelled to Camp Sussex for two weeks to train. The college time-table was revised for the next fall semester to provide more time for training and participation became compulsory for all male students registered at UNB. The University began to give credit for "Military Subjects" such as Signaling and Artillery.
In the fall of 1942, the U.A.T.C. was established on campus enrolling approximately one third of male students at UNB. For these students formal lectures were abolished and replaced by weapons and tactical training. Sunday parades became a weekly affair.
The C.O.T.C. benefitted from the new Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium, which provided space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.
UNB Contingent COTC Scrapbook, 1915-1945.
- Up the Hill, 1938, Organizations.
- Up the Hill, 1940, Organizations.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 60, no. 11, 17 January 1941, p. 1.
- Up the Hill, 1941, Organizations.
- Up the Hill, 1942, War Effort.
- Up the Hill, 1947, Organizations.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014