Canadian Officers Training Corps
Name: C.O.T.C. Officers
Previous/other names: Canadian Officers' Training Corps
Prominent date(s) of activity: 1915 -
History: The Canadian Officers' Training Corps was established in Fredericton by a decree published in the General Orders dated 15 November, 1915.
Activities: The UNB Contingent supplied the Guard of Honour for the openings of the New Brunswick Provincial Legislature.
During the Second World War the C.O.T.C. increased in size and importance reaching the highest membership total since being founded during the First World War. In the summer of 1940 the C.O.T.C. travelled to Camp Sussex for two weeks to train. The college time-table was revised for the next fall semester to provide more time for training and participation became compulsory for all male students registered at UNB. The University began to give credit for "Military Subjects" such as Signaling and Artillery.
In the fall of 1942, the U.A.T.C. was established on campus enrolling approximately one third of male students at UNB. For these students formal lectures were abolished and replaced by weapons and tactical training. Sunday parades became a weekly affair.
The C.O.T.C. benefitted from the new Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium, which provided space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.
- Up the Hill, 1938, Organizations.
- Up the Hill, 1940, Organizations.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 60, no. 2, 4 October 1940, p. 1.
- Up the Hill, 1941, Organizations.
- Up the Hill, 1942, War Effort.
- Up the Hill, 1947, Organizations.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014