Difference between revisions of "Canadian Officers Training Corps"
|Line 39:||Line 39:|
Revision as of 10:02, 28 July 2014
Name: C.O.T.C. Officers
Previous/other names: Canadian Officers' Training Corps
Prominent date(s) of activity: 1915 - 1952
History: The New Brunswick University Contingent of the C.O.T.C. was officially formed in November of 1915. The contingent fluctuated in enrolment and activity over the next few years, as many enlisted in the military and travelled to Europe to participate in the First World War.
The UNB Contingent was disbanded for reorganization in the fall of 1920 but was immediately reorganized and continued its normal activities.
Activities: The UNB Contingent supplied the Guard of Honour for the openings of the New Brunswick Provincial Legislature.
During the Second World War the C.O.T.C. increased in size and importance reaching the highest membership total since being founded during the First World War. In the summer of 1940 the C.O.T.C. travelled to Camp Sussex for two weeks to train. The college time-table was revised for the next fall semester to provide more time for training and participation became compulsory for all male students registered at UNB. The University began to give credit for "Military Subjects" such as Signaling and Artillery.
In the fall of 1942, Sunday parades became a weekly affair.
After the Second World War, the C.O.T.C. quickly moved toward a much smaller contingent of 48 Officer-Cadets chosen by a Selection Board of Faculty members. There was no organized C.O.T.C. training during the winter of 1946 as the University waited for reorganizational instructions from the Canadian government.
Instead of consistently training throughout the school year, these students were paid to participate in a sixteen week training camp over the summer holiday.
Note(s): The C.O.T.C. benefitted from the new Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium, which provided space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.
In 1942, the University Air Training Corps was also established on campus enrolling approximately one third of male students at UNB.
In 1947, the University Naval Training Division was formed on campus.
- UNB Contingent COTC Scrapbook, 1915-1945.
- Up the Hill, 1938, Organizations.
- Up the Hill, 1940, Organizations.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 60, no. 11, 17 January 1941, p. 1.
- Up the Hill, 1941, Organizations.
- Up the Hill, 1942, War Effort.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 65, no. 14, 14 February 1946, p. 1.
- Up the Hill, 1947, Organizations.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014