Difference between revisions of "Canadian Officers Training Corps"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 5: Line 5:
 
'''Previous/other names:''' Canadian Officers' Training Corps
 
'''Previous/other names:''' Canadian Officers' Training Corps
  
'''Prominent date(s) of activity:''' 1915 -
+
'''Prominent date(s) of activity:''' 1915 - 1952
  
 
'''History:''' The New Brunswick University Contingent of the C.O.T.C. was officially formed in November of 1915. The contingent fluctuated in enrolment and activity over the next few years, as many enlisted in the military and travelled to Europe to participate in the First World War.
 
'''History:''' The New Brunswick University Contingent of the C.O.T.C. was officially formed in November of 1915. The contingent fluctuated in enrolment and activity over the next few years, as many enlisted in the military and travelled to Europe to participate in the First World War.
Line 17: Line 17:
 
In the fall of 1942,&nbsp;<span style="line-height: 1.6;">Sunday parades became a weekly affair.</span>
 
In the fall of 1942,&nbsp;<span style="line-height: 1.6;">Sunday parades became a weekly affair.</span>
  
After the [[The_Second_World_War_at_UNB|Second World War]], the C.O.T.C. quickly evolved into a much smaller contingent of 48 Officer-Cadets chosen by a Selection Board of Faculty members. Instead of training throughout the school year, these students were paid to participate in a sixteen week training camp over the summer holiday. Attending two summers of training qualified participants for the rank of Lieutenant of the Reserve Force, while a third summer warranted the rank of Captain.
+
After the [[The Second World War at UNB|Second World War]], the C.O.T.C. quickly evolved into a much smaller contingent of 48 Officer-Cadets chosen by a Selection Board of Faculty members. Instead of training throughout the school year, these students were paid to participate in a sixteen week training camp over the summer holiday.&nbsp;
  
 
'''Note(s):&nbsp;'''<span style="line-height: 1.6;">The C.O.T.C. benefitted from the new&nbsp;</span>[[Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium|Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium]]<span style="line-height: 1.6;">, which provided space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.</span>
 
'''Note(s):&nbsp;'''<span style="line-height: 1.6;">The C.O.T.C. benefitted from the new&nbsp;</span>[[Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium|Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium]]<span style="line-height: 1.6;">, which provided space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.</span>
Line 23: Line 23:
 
In 1942, the&nbsp;[[University Air Training Corps|University Air Training Corps]]&nbsp;was also established on campus enrolling approximately one third of male students at UNB.
 
In 1942, the&nbsp;[[University Air Training Corps|University Air Training Corps]]&nbsp;was also established on campus enrolling approximately one third of male students at UNB.
  
In 1947, the [[University_Naval_Training_Division|University Naval Training Division]] was formed on campus.
+
In 1947, the [[University Naval Training Division|University Naval Training Division]] was formed on campus.
  
 
'''Source(s):'''
 
'''Source(s):'''
Line 35: Line 35:
 
*''Up the Hill,''&nbsp;1947, Organizations.
 
*''Up the Hill,''&nbsp;1947, Organizations.
  
{{Copyright}}
+
{{Copyright}}<br/>
[[Category:The Second World War|The_Second_World_War]]<br/>[[Category:Student Activities and Clubs|C.O.T.C.]]<br/>[[Category:MarkJr's Contributions|MarkJr's_Contributions]]
+
[[Category:The Second World War|C.O.T.C.]][[Category:Student Activities and Clubs|C.O.T.C.]]

Revision as of 12:36, 23 July 2014

This article is a stub. The content provided is authoritative, but the entry still needs more work before it can be considered complete.


Name: C.O.T.C. Officers

Previous/other names: Canadian Officers' Training Corps

Prominent date(s) of activity: 1915 - 1952

History: The New Brunswick University Contingent of the C.O.T.C. was officially formed in November of 1915. The contingent fluctuated in enrolment and activity over the next few years, as many enlisted in the military and travelled to Europe to participate in the First World War.

The UNB Contingent was disbanded for reorganization in the fall of 1920 but was immediately reorganized and continued its normal activities.

Activities: The UNB Contingent supplied the Guard of Honour for the openings of the New Brunswick Provincial Legislature.

During the Second World War the C.O.T.C. increased in size and importance reaching the highest membership total since being founded during the First World War. In the summer of 1940 the C.O.T.C. travelled to Camp Sussex for two weeks to train. The college time-table was revised for the next fall semester to provide more time for training and participation became compulsory for all male students registered at UNB. The University began to give credit for "Military Subjects" such as Signaling and Artillery. 

In the fall of 1942, Sunday parades became a weekly affair.

After the Second World War, the C.O.T.C. quickly evolved into a much smaller contingent of 48 Officer-Cadets chosen by a Selection Board of Faculty members. Instead of training throughout the school year, these students were paid to participate in a sixteen week training camp over the summer holiday. 

Note(s): The C.O.T.C. benefitted from the new Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium, which provided space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.

In 1942, the University Air Training Corps was also established on campus enrolling approximately one third of male students at UNB.

In 1947, the University Naval Training Division was formed on campus.

Source(s):

  • UNB Contingent COTC Scrapbook, 1915-1945.
  • Up the Hill, 1938, Organizations.
  • Up the Hill, 1940, Organizations.
  • The Brunswickan, vol. 60, no. 11, 17 January 1941, p. 1.
  • Up the Hill, 1941, Organizations.
  • Up the Hill, 1942, War Effort.
  • Up the Hill, 1947, Organizations.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014