Difference between revisions of "Canadian Officers Training Corps"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 11: Line 11:
 
'''Activities:''' The UNB Contingent supplied the Guard of Honour for the openings of the New Brunswick Provincial Legislature.
 
'''Activities:''' The UNB Contingent supplied the Guard of Honour for the openings of the New Brunswick Provincial Legislature.
  
During the [[The_Second_World_War_at_UNB|Second World War]] the role played by the C.O.T.C. grew significantly. In 1941, the&nbsp;college time-table was revised to provide more time for training and participation became&nbsp;compulsary for all male students registered at UNB.&nbsp;<span style="line-height: 1.6;">The University began to give credit for "Military Subjects" such as Signaling and Artillery.</span>
+
During the [[The Second World War at UNB|Second World War]],&nbsp;the C.O.T.C. increased in size and importance reaching the highest membership total since being founded during the First World War. In the summer of 1940 the C.O.T.C. travelled to [[Camp_Sussex|Camp Sussex]] for two weeks to train. For the following fall semester&nbsp;<span style="line-height: 1.6;">the&nbsp;college time-table was revised to provide more time for training and participation became&nbsp;compulsary for all male students registered at UNB.&nbsp;</span><span style="line-height: 1.6;">The University began to give credit for "Military Subjects" such as Signaling and Artillery.&nbsp;</span><span style="line-height: 1.6;">The new </span>[[Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium|Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium]]<span style="line-height: 1.6;">benefitted the C.O.T.C., providing space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.</span>
 
 
<span style="line-height: 1.6;">The new [[Lady_Beaverbrook_Gymnasium|Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium]] benefitted the C.O.T.C., providing space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.</span>
 
  
 
'''Note(s):'''
 
'''Note(s):'''

Revision as of 08:01, 16 July 2014

This article is a stub. The content provided is authoritative, but the entry still needs more work before it can be considered complete.


Name: C.O.T.C. Officers

Previous/other names: Canadian Officers' Training Corps

Prominent date(s) of activity: 1915 -

History: The Canadian Officers' Training Corps was established in Fredericton by a decree published in the General Orders dated 15 November, 1915.

Activities: The UNB Contingent supplied the Guard of Honour for the openings of the New Brunswick Provincial Legislature.

During the Second World War, the C.O.T.C. increased in size and importance reaching the highest membership total since being founded during the First World War. In the summer of 1940 the C.O.T.C. travelled to Camp Sussex for two weeks to train. For the following fall semester the college time-table was revised to provide more time for training and participation became compulsary for all male students registered at UNB. The University began to give credit for "Military Subjects" such as Signaling and Artillery. The new Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasiumbenefitted the C.O.T.C., providing space for an Orderly Room, Quartermaster Store-Room, Arms Room, Rifle Range, and Drill Hall.

Note(s):


Source(s):

  • Up the Hill, 1938, Organizations.
  • Up the Hill, 1940, Organizations.
  • Up the Hill, 1941, Organizations.
  • Up the Hill, 1947, Organizations.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014