Building Name: Burden Academy
Other Names: Centennial Schoolhouse, Burden Schoolhouse.
Civic Address: corner of Windsor St. and King’s College Rd.
Sod Turning: N/A
Cornerstone Laying: N/A
Opened for Use: [before 1850]
Official Opening: 15 May 1967 (dedication)
Architect: Unknown. Renovations done under the artistic direction of John Corey.
Named for: The schoolhouse's original location in Burden, N.B.
Renovations/changes/additions: Moved from Burden, N.B. to the UNB Fredericton campus for the centennial celebrati
Plaque/Sign Inscription: Burden Academy This one-room schoolhouse, whose origin pre-dates confederation, was located at Burden, New Brunswick, and served this community until June of 1966. It was moved to its present site on the campus of the University of New Brunswick in 1967, and restored as a centennial project so that it might serve as an example of the early educational facilities in this province.
Notes: Officially re-opened 15 May 1967 during Encaenial celebrations by Hon. W.W. Meldrum, Q.C., then provincial Minister of Education.
- Sign/Plaque Inscription: UNB Public Relations Dept. Photograph Collection, Series 2; Sub-series 1; File 136, no. 3.
- UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012