Difference between revisions of "Bridges House"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (added links)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Building Name:''' Bridges House[[File:Bridges house.jpg|thumb|right|320x392px|Man entering Bridges House. UA PC 9a no. 3 (2). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]
+
'''Building Name:''' Bridges House[[File:Bridges house.jpg|thumb|right|320x392px]]
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Bridges
 
'''Other Names:''' Bridges
Line 15: Line 15:
 
'''Architect:''' Larson and Larson
 
'''Architect:''' Larson and Larson
  
'''Named for:''' The brothers Henry Seabury Bridges (BA; MA; PhD; LLD; Professor of Classics at UNB 1881-1895) and Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges (BA; MA; LLD; Principal of the Provincial Normal School 1906-1933)
+
'''Named for:''' The brothers [http://unbhistory.lib.unb.ca/index.php/Henry_Seabury_Bridges Henry Seabury Bridges] (BA; MA; PhD; LLD; Professor of [http://unbhistory.lib.unb.ca/index.php/Department_of_Classics_and_Ancient_History Classics] at UNB 1881-1895) and Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges (BA; MA; LLD; Principal of the Provincial Normal School 1906-1933)
  
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Plaque unveiled on 3 October 1962 dedicating Bridges House in memory of the Drs. Bridges.
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' Plaque unveiled on 3 October 1962 dedicating Bridges House in memory of the Drs. Bridges.
Line 30: Line 30:
  
 
{{Copyright}}
 
{{Copyright}}
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Fredericton]][[Category:Residences]]
+
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Fredericton]]<br/>[[Category:Residences]]

Revision as of 10:42, 16 April 2015

Building Name: Bridges House

Bridges house.jpg

Other Names: Bridges

Civic Address: 45 Mackay Dr.

Sod Turning: [ca. 1961]

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1961]

Opened for Use: [ca. 1961]

Official Opening: [ca. 1961]

Architect: Larson and Larson

Named for: The brothers Henry Seabury Bridges (BA; MA; PhD; LLD; Professor of Classics at UNB 1881-1895) and Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges (BA; MA; LLD; Principal of the Provincial Normal School 1906-1933)

Renovations/changes/additions: Plaque unveiled on 3 October 1962 dedicating Bridges House in memory of the Drs. Bridges.

Plaque inscription: Bridges House Named in memory of Henry Seabury Bridges, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., LL.D., Professor of Classics in the University of New Brunswick, 1881-1895. Superintendent of Saint John city schools, 1896-1926; and of his brother, Hedley Vicars Burpee Bridges, B.A., M.A., LL.D., Principal of the Provincial Normal School, 1906-1933. Of old New England stock, resident from early days in the Valley of the St. John, they were guided throughout their lives by high ideals of public service. Gifted with administrative talents, they also excelled as teachers in a Province where teaching had long been practiced as an art.

Notes: Bridges House is currently a co-ed residence which raises money for the IWK with their annual Polar Dip.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 77.
  • Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Dept. Photograph Collection, Series 2, Sub-series 3, File 721, no. 6.
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Bridges House.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014