Aitken House

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Revision as of 13:18, 22 May 2014 by Markmcumber (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Building Name: Aitken House

Aitken House2.jpg

Other Names: Aitken

Civic Address: 14 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: 15 May 1957 by Premier Hugh John Flemming

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1957]

Opened for Use: 15 September 1958

Official Opening: 15 September 1958

Architect: Associated Designers and Inspectors (later known as ADI Ltd.)

Named for: William Maxwell Aitken, first Baron Beaverbrook: Chancellor of UNB 1947-1964

Renovations/changes/additions: The plaque naming the residence in honor of Lord Beaverbrook was unveiled on 14 May 1958.


: Aitken House This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership.

Aitken House1.jpg

Notes: The building was created as the architectural twin of Jones House. Aitken House is an all-male residence.


  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB.Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.
  • Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012