Difference between revisions of "Aitken House"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Building Name:''' Aitken House[[File:Aitken House2.jpg|thumb|right|400x315px|Aitken House doorway at Christmas time. UA PC 9 no. 59 (1).]]
+
'''Building Name:''' Aitken House[[File:Aitken House2.jpg|thumb|right|400x315px]]
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Aitken
 
'''Other Names:''' Aitken
Line 19: Line 19:
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' The plaque naming the residence in honor of [[Chancellors|Lord Beaverbrook]] was unveiled on 14 May 1958.
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' The plaque naming the residence in honor of [[Chancellors|Lord Beaverbrook]] was unveiled on 14 May 1958.
  
'''[[:File:Aitkenhouseplaque.jpg|Plaque Inscription]]:''' Aitken House - This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership. [[File:Aitken House1.jpg|thumb|right|320x272px|Colin Mackay and Lady Jean Campbell unveil the Aitken House plaque, May 1958. UA PC-4 no. 7d (1). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]
+
'''[[:File:Aitkenhouseplaque.jpg|Plaque Inscription]]:''' Aitken House - This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership. [[File:Aitken House1.jpg|thumb|right|320x272px]]
  
 
'''Notes:''' The building was created as the architectural twin of [[Jones House]]. Aitken House is an all-male residence.
 
'''Notes:''' The building was created as the architectural twin of [[Jones House]]. Aitken House is an all-male residence.
Line 33: Line 33:
  
 
{{Copyright}}
 
{{Copyright}}
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Fredericton]][[Category:Residences]]
+
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Fredericton]]<br/>[[Category:Residences]] [[Category:UNB Fredericton]]

Revision as of 10:41, 23 July 2015

Building Name: Aitken House

Aitken House2.jpg

Other Names: Aitken

Civic Address: 14 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: 15 May 1957 by Premier Hugh John Flemming

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1957]

Opened for Use: 15 September 1958

Official Opening: 15 September 1958

Architect: Associated Designers and Inspectors (later known as ADI Ltd.)

Named for: William Maxwell Aitken, first Baron Beaverbrook: Chancellor of UNB 1947-1964

Renovations/changes/additions: The plaque naming the residence in honor of Lord Beaverbrook was unveiled on 14 May 1958.

Plaque Inscription: Aitken House - This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership.

Aitken House1.jpg

Notes: The building was created as the architectural twin of Jones House. Aitken House is an all-male residence.

Residents of Aitken House were involved in an hour-long food fight in Lady Dunn Hall in January of 1977.

Source(s):

  • "Aitken Animals strike again." The Brunswickan, vol. 111, no. 15, 1977, p. 4.
  • Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.
  • Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014