Difference between revisions of "Aitken House"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 29: Line 29:
 
*UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House
 
*UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House
  
<br/>© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012
+
<br/>© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012<br/>
[[Category:Buildings]]<br/>[[Category:Aitken Family|Aitken_Family]]<br/>[[Category:Lord Beaverbrook|Lord_Beaverbrook]]
+
[[Category:Buildings]][[Category:Residences]][[Category:Aitken Family|Aitken_Family]]<br/>[[Category:Lord Beaverbrook|Lord_Beaverbrook]]

Revision as of 10:31, 29 May 2014

Building Name: Aitken House

Aitken House doorway at Christmas time. UA PC 9 no. 59 (1).

Other Names: Aitken

Civic Address: 14 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: 15 May 1957 by Premier Hugh John Flemming

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1957]

Opened for Use: 15 September 1958

Official Opening: 15 September 1958

Architect: Associated Designers and Inspectors (later known as ADI Ltd.)

Named for: William Maxwell Aitken, first Baron Beaverbrook: Chancellor of UNB 1947-1964

Renovations/changes/additions: The plaque naming the residence in honor of Lord Beaverbrook was unveiled on 14 May 1958.

Plaque Inscription: Aitken House - This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership.

Colin Mackay and Lady Jean Campbell unveil the Aitken House plaque, May 1958. UA PC-4 no. 7d (1). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.

Notes: The building was created as the architectural twin of Jones House. Aitken House is an all-male residence.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB.Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.
  • Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012