Difference between revisions of "Aitken House"

From UNB Archives and Special Collections
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with " '''Building Name:''' Aitken Housethumb|400x315px|right|Aitken House doorway at Christmas time. UA PC 9 no. 59 (1). '''Other Names:''' Aitken '''C...")
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
+
'''Building Name:''' Aitken House[[File:Aitken House2.jpg|thumb|right|400x315px]]
'''Building Name:''' Aitken House[[File:Aitken_House2.jpg|thumb|400x315px|right|Aitken House doorway at Christmas time. UA PC 9 no. 59 (1).]]
 
  
 
'''Other Names:''' Aitken
 
'''Other Names:''' Aitken
Line 20: Line 19:
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' The plaque naming the residence in honor of [[Chancellors|Lord Beaverbrook]] was unveiled on 14 May 1958.
 
'''Renovations/changes/additions:''' The plaque naming the residence in honor of [[Chancellors|Lord Beaverbrook]] was unveiled on 14 May 1958.
  
'''[[file:aitkenhouseplaque.jpg|thumb|Plaque inscription]]:''' Aitken House This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership.
+
'''[[File:Aitkenhouseplaque.jpg|thumb]]:''' Aitken House This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership. [[File:Aitken House1.jpg|thumb|right|320x272px]] '''Notes:''' The building was created as the architectural twin of [[Jones House]]. Aitken House is an all-male residence.
[[File:Aitken_House1.jpg|thumb|320x272px|right|Colin Mackay and Lady Jean Campbell unveil the Aitken House plaque, May 1958. UA PC-4 no. 7d (1). Photo credit: Harvey Studios Ltd.]]
 
'''Notes:''' The building was created as the architectural twin of [[Jones House]]. Aitken House is an all-male residence.
 
  
 
'''Source(s):'''
 
'''Source(s):'''
* <span style="color: #000000;">Leroux, John.</span> ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''.<span style="color: #000000;"> Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.</span>
 
* Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.
 
* UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House
 
  
 +
*<span style="color: #000000;">Leroux, John.</span> ''Building A University: The Architecture of UNB''.<span style="color: #000000;">Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.</span>
 +
*Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.
 +
*UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House
 +
 +
Category|Mark
  
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012
+
<br/>© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012

Revision as of 13:18, 22 May 2014

Building Name: Aitken House

Aitken House2.jpg

Other Names: Aitken

Civic Address: 14 Bailey Dr.

Sod Turning: 15 May 1957 by Premier Hugh John Flemming

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1957]

Opened for Use: 15 September 1958

Official Opening: 15 September 1958

Architect: Associated Designers and Inspectors (later known as ADI Ltd.)

Named for: William Maxwell Aitken, first Baron Beaverbrook: Chancellor of UNB 1947-1964

Renovations/changes/additions: The plaque naming the residence in honor of Lord Beaverbrook was unveiled on 14 May 1958.

Aitkenhouseplaque.jpg

: Aitken House This residence was completed in 1958 and is named in honour of William Maxwell Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, Chancellor of the University. The funds for this building were provided by a private benefaction and public subscriptions under his inspiration and leadership.

Aitken House1.jpg

Notes: The building was created as the architectural twin of Jones House. Aitken House is an all-male residence.

Source(s):

  • Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB.Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 70.
  • Plaque inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 819; Item. 5.
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Aitken House

Category|Mark


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012