Ward Chipman Building
Civic Address: 100 Tucker Park Road, Saint John
Sod Turning: Unknown
Cornerstone Laying: 14 May 1968 by New Brunswick Lieutenant-Governor Wallace S. Bird
Opened for Use: 1969
Official Opening: 1969
Architect: Mott, Miles & Chatwin Ltd.
Named for: Ward Chipman (1754-1824), New Brunswick loyalist, Solicitor-General of NB (1784-1808), representative in the NB House of Assembly (1785-93), member of the executive council of NB (1806) and NB Supreme Court judge (1808), President and Commander-in-Chief of NB (1823-24), and one of the original petitioners to establish an academy of arts and sciences in New Brunswick.
Notes: The first academic building on the Tucker Park campus, the Ward Chipman Building originally served as a student centre, administration building, and a library. Upon completion of other buildings, it was used entirely as a library and became the Ward Chipman Library. With the opening of the Hans W. Klohn Commons in 2011 as the new campus library, the former library became known as the Ward Chipman Building.
- UA Case 180; Section 4; File 4.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014