University Choral Society

From Archives and Special Collections
Jump to: navigation, search

Previous/other names: Co-ed Choral Club (1944 - 1948); Men's Glee Club (1941 - 1948); Varsity Singers (1948); Male Chorus (1953); University Choral Society (1958)

Prominent date(s) of activity: 1958 - 1983

History: While an all-male Glee Club was present at UNB from as early as 1941, 1944 saw the establishment of UNB's first Co-ed Choral Club, under the direction of Dr. Marcel de Merten. The Co-Ed Choral Club was open to all female students on campus with an interest in music.

In 1947 the Co-Ed Choral Club and Glee Club practiced and performed together under the direction of Dr. Frank J. Toole. In January 1948, the two clubs merged to form the Varsity Singers, directed by Dr. de Merten

The club was renamed once again in 1959 as the University Choral Society, falling under the direction of Professor Arthur F. Tryhall.

Activities: The Varsity Singers gathered weekly to practice and performed at a variety of university events, such as the annual Founder's Day celebration and the Red 'n' Black Revue.

Note(s): In 1948, to increase the number of female voices present, the Varsity Singers invited the Students' Wives to sing with them. That same year the group began performing radio programs broadcast over the local radio station CFNB.

At the 1960 Winter Carnival, the entire Choral Society, under the direction of Mr. Arther Trythall, performed the play Rose Marie, by Rudolf Friml. This was the most expensive single production produced at UNB to date.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 173.
  • Up the Hill, 1944, Organizations.
  • Up the Hill, 1948, p.145.
  • Up the Hill, 1949, p.168.
  • Up the Hill, 1953, p.79.
  • Up the Hill, 1960, p.102.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014