Marshall d'Avray Hall
Building Name: Marshall d’Avray Hall
Other Names: Marshall D, New Brunswick Teachers’ College
Civic Address: 10 Mackay Dr.
Sod Turning: [1963?]
Cornerstone Laying: [1964?]
Opened for Use: September 1964
Official Opening: 29 September 1964 (Teacher’s College); 16 May 1974 (dedication as Marshall d'Avray Hall)
Architect: Architectural Branch, New Brunswick Department of Public Works.
Named for: Joseph Marshall de Brett, second Baron d’Avray, principal of the first teacher-training school on New Brunswick (1848-1871) and chief super superintendent of education (1854-1858). He was considered to be the founder of teacher training in New Brunswick.
Renovations/changes/additions: Plaque honoring Principals of Teachers College unveiled 14 July 1984; major renovations in 1999 created space for the Eaton Multimedia Centre, Audio Visual Services, and the Teaching and Learning Centre.
Plaque Inscription: "Marshall d'Avray Hall Named in memory of Joseph Marshall de Brett Baron d'Avray, professor of modern languages and literature in this university 1848-1871. As principal of the first Normal School 1848-1850, he was founder of the teacher training in the province of New Brunswick."
Notes: The building was originally built under the auspices of New Brunswick Teacher's College on the UNB campus and was a separate educational institution from the University until 1973, when it merged with UNB and became the location of the Faculty of Education. The building is also home to Adult Learners, Part-time Students, Centre for Enhanced Teaching and Learning, Early Childhood Centre, Mi'kmaq-Maliseet Institute, NB Centre for Educational Administration, Second Language Research Institute of Canada, and more.
Names Spaces: Eaton Multimedia Centre (1st & 2nd floor west wing), The Multimedia Centre was supported by the Easton Foundation among 8 other donors as part of the Venture Campaign.
Scotia Bank Distance Education Centre (126), Support for this Centre was provided by Scotiabank through a gift to UNB's Venture Campaign, being announced in 1996.
Stephen L. Peppin Computer Lab (131), Stephen L. Peppin worked with the Integrated Technology Services at UNB beginning in 1998 and was respected by staff, colleagues, and students alike. He died in an accident in 2001 and two UNB departments initiated the naming of the space.
Dugald Blue Auditorium (143), Dugald C. Blue came to UNB from Scotland in 1955 as professor of education, his specialty being the education of exceptional children. In 1968 he was appointed registrar and dean of studnets. From 1974-1979 he Blue served as university secretary.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, pp. 180.
- UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Marshall d'Avray Hall.
- Plaque Inscription: UA PC 11 no. 12 (1).
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014