Mackay Promenade

From Archives and Special Collections
Jump to: navigation, search
This entry is currently under development. Please do not consider the entry authoritative until it has been completed.


Name of Structure: Mackay Promenade
Dr. Colin B. Mackay at the unveiling of The MacKay Promenade, May 1978.UA RG 340; Series 14; File 13040A, 13040B, 13040C. Photo credit: Joe Stone and Son Ltd.

Other Names:

Location: In front of the Student Union Building

Date Unveiled: 17 May 1978

Artist/Creator:

Named for: Dr. Colin B. Mackay

Event/Occasion/Significance: To commemorate Dr. Colin B. Mackay's installation as UNB's first President Emeritus.

Plaque Inscription/Text Associated: The structure donated by the Associated Alumni honours Colin Bridges Mackay O.C., Q.C., B.A., LL.B., D.C.L., D.E.S.L, LL.D. President of the University of New Brunswick 1953 - 1969 Erected on the occasion of his installation as first President Emeritus of the University and of the dedication of The MacKay Promenade May 18, 1978

Notes: The promenade honours Dr. McKay's contributions to the university, specifically his work in leading and managing substantial campus construction projects, and his appeal for government support in these endeavours. Present at the event was president of UNB, John Anderson, as well as retired vice-president of the administration, Bev Macaulay, Edith McLeod, registrar emerita, and Fred Bearisto, president of the alumni. UNB alumna and honorary degree recipient Anne Murray also attended the official unveiling.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 121, Section 2.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014