MacLaren Gates

From Archives and Special Collections
Jump to: navigation, search
This entry is currently under development. Please do not consider the entry authoritative until it has been completed.


Name of Structure: MacLaren Gates
View from outside MacLaren Gates, (after 1957). UA PC-12 no. 23 (2).

Other Names: North Gates

Location: On University Ave. facing Beaverbrook St.

Date Unveiled: 8 October 1957 by Dr. Ian MacLaren

Artist/Creator:

Named for: Murray MacLaren, former Lieutenant-Governor of NB and his son Ian MacLaren.

Event/Occasion/Significance:

Plaque Inscription/Text Associated: These gates are a gift from the Honourable Murray MacLaren C.M.G., B.A., M.D., LL.D, sometime Lieut-Governor of this province and his son Ian M. MacLaren M.C., M.Sc., LL.D., both graduates of this university.

Notes: Donated by the MacLarens for $5000 apiece. Soon after being presented, the gates were vandalized by students from Mount Allison University prior to a football game, to the effect of $1000 in damages.

Source(s):

  • Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 155.
  • Plaque Inscription: UNB Public Relations Dept. Photograph Collection, Series 2, Sub-series 3, File 721, no. 23.
  • UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), September - December 1957.
  • UA Case 121; Section 3; Gates.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014