Ludlow Hall

From Archives and Special Collections
Jump to: navigation, search
Building Name: Ludlow Hall
Ludlow Hall, [after 1984]. PR; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 541; Item 2. Photo credit: Joe Stone & Son Ltd.

Other Names: Law Building, Law School

Civic Address: 41 Dineen Drive

Sod Turning: 3 June 1967, officiated by Chief Justices Hon. G. F. G. Bridges and Hon. Adrien J. Cormier

Cornerstone Laying: [1967?]

Opened for Use: 8 October 1968

Official Opening: 8 October 1968 by Lady Violet Aitken

Architect: Larson and Larson

Named for: Hon. George Duncan Ludlow, New Brunswick’s first Chief Justice (1784-1808)

Renovations/changes/additions: Gerard V. La Forest Law Library addition (official opening: 12 October 1984); renovation of a lecture theatre, Room 2, into the Mary Louise Lynch Room in memory of Mary Louise Lynch, graduate of UNB Law and UNB's first governor emeritus (official opening: 17 October 2008).

Notes: The Faculty of Law was originally established in Saint John in 1892, and was associated with King's College in Windsor, Nova Scotia, thus being known as the King's College Law School. The School became a faculty of UNB in 1923 when King's College amalgamated with Dalhousie University and relocated to Halifax, leaving the Faculty of Law to occupy the top floor of the old Provincial Building on Canterbury St. in Saint John. In 1953 Lord Beaverbrook donated Beaverbrook House as a new home for the faculty, and included a new library as well. This building was used by the Faculty of Law until 1959, when it moved to Somerville House in Fredericton. Growing numbers required a larger space, and in 1967 Sir Max Aitken donated $1 million on behalf of the Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation for a new law school on the UNB Fredericton campus. Work began immediately on the new building, located between the St. Thomas campus and the O'Brien Gates. Construction was halted a few months later due to the bankruptcy of Anglin-Norcross Corp. Ltd., whose Maritime subsidiary held the contract for the law school at Fredericton, as well as the library and administration building at UNB Saint John. Work resumed in October,and Ludlow Hall was completed Fall 1968.

Source(s):

  • UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Ludlow Hall.


© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014