Other Names: Army Huts, H-Huts, Huts, the “Blot”
Civic Address: various locations across Fredericton campus
Cornerstone Laying: N/A
Opened for Use: September 1946 (original batch)
Official Opening: 1946
Named for: The Army habitation huts which were surplus held by the Canadian Forces and used by UNB to deal with increased enrollment during the post-war period; prefab huts brought onto campus during the 1960s are often attributed to the initial post-war purchase of huts.Renovations/changes/additions: The Arts Building Annex was moved from the lawn between the Arts Building and Lady Beaverbrook Residence to a position behind the Arts Building (Summer 1951). The huts were destroyed over the years to make room for permanent buildings. The last of the prefab huts, dating from the 1960s, were demolished 22 December 1993.
Notes: These huts were purchased in order to create working and class space for the booming student body after the Second World War, and then again during the 1960s. The first batch were moved onto campus on 1 August 1946.
- UA Case 123; Section 3, Box 1; Huts.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), January - November 1946.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014