First Legislation, Ordered by the Government of NB to Establish the Provincial University
Name of Memorial/Commemoration: Plaque commemorating the first legislation by the government to establish a provincial university
Location: Thomas Carleton HallDate Unveiled: 17 May 1962
Named for: N/A
Event/Occasion/Significance: Unveiling of a plaque to commemorate the government's first legislation to establish the university (1785).
Plaque Inscription/Text Associated: First Legislation by the Government of Canada to Establish the Provincial University: "In council 13th December, 1785 Present: The Governor, Mr. G. Ludlow, Mr. Hazen and Mr. Odell Took into consideration the memorial of Dr. William Paine and others praying a Charter of Incorporation to be granted for the institution of a Provincial Academy of Arts and Sciences: Also a memorial of the Principal Officers of the Disabled Corps and other inhabitants of the county of York praying that part of reserved lands around Fredericton may be appropriated to the use of the proposed Academy. Ordered that the Attorney and Solicitor General be directed with all convenient speed to prepare the draught of a charter for the establishment of the said institution."
Notes: Premier Louis J. Robichaud unveiled the plaque as part of the Encaenia Week activities. Also present at the ceremony was the Lieutenant Governor and Mrs. J. Leonard O'Brien, representing Her Majesty the Queen, and Dr. Colin B. Mackay, university president. Prof. W.S. McNutt, professor of History at UNB, acted as guest speaker at the event.
- The Alumni News v. 16, no. 2 (Summer 1962): 7.
- Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721; Item 16.
- Telegraph Journal 18 May 1962.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014