Electrical Engineering Building
Civic Address: 19 Dineen Dr.
Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1863]
Opened for Use: 1863 (as a gymnasium); 1944 (as the Electrical Engineering Building)
Official Opening: [1863?] (as a gymnasium); 1944 (as the Electrical Engineering Building)
Architect: G. Ernest Fairweather (original structure); Alward and Gillies (remodel in 1944); ADI, Ira Beattie, Robert H.B. McLaughlin, Albert Stevens (connecting addition to the Engineering Building in 1957)
Named for: Housing gymnasium facilities, later housing the electrical engineering classrooms.Renovations/changes/additions: The building was renovated in 1884 to make it “second to none in the Province.” Extensive remodeling in 1944 transformed the gymnasium into the Electrical Engineering Building by adding an additional storey and an L-shaped two storey wing to the existing structure. In 1957 the building was connected to the
Notes: The building burned down in 1902 and was rebuilt in 1905. Since 1944 it has been the Electrical Engineering Building, and since 1968 it has been connected to Head Hall.
- Leroux, John. Building A University: The Architecture of UNB. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2010, p. 88.
- Montague, Susan. A Pictorial History of the University of New Brunswick. University of New Brunswick, 1992, p. 29, 31, 35, 36.
- UA Case 122; Section 3; Chronological Listing of Buildings.
- UNB Scrapbooks (UA RG 100), 1944-1945.
- MacKirdy, Kenneth A. "The Formation of the Modern University, 1859-1906". In The University of New Brunswick Memorial Volume, ed. Alfred G. Bailey. Fredericton: University of New Brunswick, 1950, p. 45.
- Lloyd, Hugh and Wade, Scott. "The Tinder Box." In Behind the Hill. Fredericton: Students' Representative Council, the Associated Alumni and the Senate of the University of New Brunswick, 1967, p. 152-156.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014