Loring Bailey Hall
Building Name: Loring Bailey Hall
Other Names: Bailey Hall, Bailey Building, Physics and Biology Building
Civic Address: 10 Bailey Dr.
Sod Turning: 8 October 1958 by Lord Beaverbrook
Cornerstone Laying: 19 October 1959 by Lord Beaverbrook
Opened for Use: September 1960
Official Opening: 18 May 1961 (Dedication) by Loring Woart Bailey's grandsons Dr. A.G. Bailey and Loring Withal Bailey
Architect: Larson and Larson
Named for: Loring Woart Bailey, Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science at UNB, 1861-1907; Research Wing: Charles William Argue, Professor of Biology, Head of the Department of Biology and Dean of Science.
Renovations/additions: C.W. Argue Research Wing (Sod turning: 15 May 1969); opened 17 October 1973.
Plaque Inscription: Loring Bailey Hall Named in memory of Loring Woart Bailey, A.M., PH.D., LL.D., F.R.S.C., for 46 years, from 1861 to 1907, Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science, and Professor Emeritus for 17 years thereafter, the longest term of service in the university's history. Born in 1839 at West Point, N.Y. and graduating Harvard in the class of 1859, Loring Bailey went on to teach the sciences in a masterly fashion throughout the greater part of his career. These sciences included Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Physics, Chemistry, and Geology. He was elected in 1882 a charter member of the Royal Society of Canada. Through his scientific writings he enriched the intellectual life of his time and enlarged the bounds of knowledge.
Names Spaces: Argue Research Wing, named for biologist C. William Argue who came to UNB in 1930 as a one-person biology department initially. He was head of the department from 1930-1967, acting president in 1953, and Dean of Science from 1945-1969. Argue distinguished himself during World War II by establishing a blood transfusion service in New Brunswick.
The University of New Brunswick Connell Memorial Herbarium (17), The collection of plants of Carleton County, New Brunswick was housed by the family of Dr. Katherine M. Connell as a tribute to and outstanding educator and botanist. Established in 1838, the herbarium was renamed for Connell in 1976.
- UA Case 123; Section 3; Box 1; Bailey Hall.
- The Brunswickan 108(7): 19 October 1973, pg. 4.
- Plaque Inscription: University of New Brunswick Public Relations Department Photograph Collection; Series 2; Sub-series 3; File 721; Item 13.
- UNB Scrapbook (UA RG 100), October - December 1973.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014