Environment and Natural Resources Society
Previous/other names:Environmental Society
Prominent date(s) of activity: 1989 - present
History: The Student Environmental Society was established in 1989 by students, staff, and faculty from various departments.
Activities: The group promotes "peer interaction, outdoor recreation, sustainability, and good relations within the Fredericton community" by organizing activities such as a lecture series, fund-raisers, and recycling programs.
In its founding year the Society developed an award program to bring recognition to community members who demonstrated outstanding achievement in environmental preservation.
In 1997, in conjunction with Concerned Youth for Development, UNB's Environmental Society deemed the week of April 4th Consumer Awareness Week. The initiative encouraged students and faculty to be conscientious about the amount of waste generated by their consumer habits, and promoted participation in the April 7th Buy Nothing Day.
- Student Union, Clubs and Societies, [Environment and Natural Resources Society]
- The Brunswickan,vol. 124, no. 10, 1989, p. 10.</span
- Up the Hill, 1990, p. 104.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 124, no. 18, 1990, p. 7.
- The Brunswickan, vol. 130, no. 24, April 1997, p. 6.
© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2014